The latest watch from Christophe Claret the Christophe Claret X TREM-1, is an intriguing technical marvel.
Metal balls that appear to magically float inside two Sapphire tubes are used to indicate the time.
The balls have hollow cores and float due to magnetic fields, these are generated by two miniature magnets towed by silk cables and located inside the watch.
The silk is fine but braided and very strong, the type used in reconstructive surgery.
The resistance of the silk was tested using a time-lapse system to the equivalent of 6 years.
The magnet, traditionally the enemy of mechanical watches in this case is a willing accomplice in the watch`s movement. The magnets are specialized and used in a way that don’t effect the running of the watch detrimentally.
A flying tourbillon adds further visual interest, it uses dual ceramic ball bearings to increase its resistance to shocks. It is inclined to 30 degrees to make it more visible to the wearer.
The Christophe Claret X TREM-1 is also readable in the dark thanks to SuperLumiNova strips placed along each of the tubes. The movement contains 419 parts and has a power reserve of about 50 hours. Double fold-out crowns on the back of the watch are used for winding and setting the watch.
In case you’re curious, the name “X TREM” isn’t used just because it sounds cool, apparently it stands for “Experimental Time Research Engineering Mechanism.”
I’m sure a lot of people will be eager to check out this fascinating timepiece firsthand at Baselworld which has just started. However if you cant make it check out the video below.
The price is 264,000 – 288,000 CHF depending on the materials used.
Dimensions: 26.6 x 46.4 x 11.94 mm
Number of parts: 419
Number of jewels: 64
Power reserve: 50+ hours
Barrels: Dual barrels:
– One for the movement gear train
– One for the time indications
The tourbillon movement and the time indication gear trains each have their own independent energy supply to optimize power distribution and duration.
– Escapement: Swiss lever type
– Oscillation frequency of the balance: 3 Hz (21,600 vph)
– Tourbillon rotates once every 60 seconds
– Flying tourbillon inclined at 30° supported by a double ceramic bearing, with cone-shaped pinion transmission
– Mystery hours and minutes displayed on each side of the case, with indications provided by hollowed steel spheres moving 23 mm inside two cylindrical sapphire tubes
– The metal spheres are driven by magnetic carriages following a surgical silk thread – Reference: SOFSILK
– Seconds displayed on the tourbillon cage
– Mechanical, hand-wound movement
– Open barrel acts as movement state-of-wind indicator: when the movement is fully wound the spring is centered in the barrel
– Curvex with sides inclined at 30° angle
– Mainplate and bridges in bead-blasted titanium
– Open-worked ratchet and wheel
– Use of precisely-shaped magnetic fields in a mechanical movement
– No mechanical connection between the indications and the movement
– Fine adjustment system for the retrograde display returnspring
– Rectangular with curvex profile
– Dimensions: 40.80 x 56.80 x 15 mm
– Water resistance: 3 ATM / 30 m / 100 ft
– Polished white gold/bead-blasted black PVD-coated grade 5 titanium
– Polished rose gold/bead-blasted black PVD-coated grade 5 titanium
– Platinum/bead-blasted black PVD-coated grade 5 titanium Hour and minute displays: Hours and minutes are indicated by two 4mm-diameter hollowed spheres weighing 0.100 grams that move past sapphire scales marked with thin Super-LumiNova graduations beneath the sapphire
Pusher: Fast time adjustment is via an integrated pusher on the caseband at 12 o’clock
Bows: Winding and time-setting via lift-out rotating “bows” on caseback
Strap: Black hand-sewn alligator leather or rubber-touch leather fitted with an innovative two-screw fastening system that facilitates strap change and avoids damaging the case
Buckle: Titanium folding clasp with gold buckle
Distinctive features: Super-LumiNova along the side of the caseband enables time reading in the dark
Number of watches: Each version is issued in a limited edition of eight pieces